Sugar Cookies are delicious and fun to make at any time of the year. We enjoy them at every birthday and holiday celebration. We made this guide so that when you use our Nantucket-themed cookie cutters, your baked treats come out of the oven picture perfect every time!
Picture Perfect Nantucket Themed Sugar Cookies
Let’s make the cookie dough:
Ingredients For About 36 Cookies
. 1 1/2 Cups Unsalted Butter
. 2 Cups Sugar
. 2 Whole Eggs
. 2 Whole Egg Yolks
. 4 Teaspoons Vanilla
. 4 Cups Flour
. 1 Teaspoon Salt
. 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Cream together the butter and sugar in a mixer until smooth, and ingredients are incorporated, but be careful not to over mix. Over mixing will result in cookies not holding their shape while baking.
3. Beat in the vanilla and eggs and egg yolks
4. In another bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking powder.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix a small batch at a time until everything is combined.
6. Separate the dough in to 4-5 balls and wrap in seran wrap and refrigerate one hour.
7. When you are ready to roll, place the dough ball on a lightly floured surface, and roll out until about 1/4 inch thick. Using your Nantucket themed cookie cutters, cut out your shapes. Use a metal spatula to transfer the shapes to a cookie sheet.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for about 8-10 minutes.
Baking for 8 minutes will result in a lighter colored, softer cookie.
Baking for 10-11 minutes will result in a golden, crisper cookie.
Plan Ahead And Work Quickly When Decorating
When your cookies have cooled, it’s time for the icing!
1 Cup Powdered Sugar
4 T Milk
Food Coloring of choice
1. Mix ingredients with a fork. Adding a little more milk will make the icing like a glaze for the cookies. Alternatively, more powdered sugar will make the icing thicker.
2. Add the icing to a ziplock sandwich bag. Cut a small hole in the corner of the bag. “Pipe” the icing out of the bag, and use a small knife to spread it all over the cookie. The glaze dries quickly, so if you want to add sprinkles, ground candy canes, or chocolate bits, be sure to do this within 2 minutes of spreading the icing, or the icing will harden and the sprinkles won’t stick.
There’s no shortage of creative ways to decorate your cookies. Make your thick and thin icing in as many colors as you like, and get ready to have fun!
Let’s Start Baking!
Send us photos of your picture-perfect sugar cookies by tagging @greyladygifts on Instagram. We’d love to see your creations!